Got (No) Milk?
Henry was diagnosed with a milk protein intolerance last Friday.
Could this be the cause of what appears (by his scrunched up face and occasional tears) to be very painful gas? [Probable.]
Could this also be the reason for his regular fussiness in the evening? [Either that, or he's just, you know, weeks old at this point.]
It is DEFINITELY the cause of the streaks of blood in his diaper first spotted on Wednesday, that led to Eric and I crossing a line I didn't know existed into being people who take and send each other pictures of infant poop.
[Yes, I COULD put a picture here.]
Since Henry eats what I eat, I am now cutting out all traces of milk in my diet, from the more obvious (ice cream) to the less so (whey, casein, or milk solids hidden in processed foods). Luckily (?) for me, I am lactose intolerant, so the only pain I'm really suffering (but it is painful) is the loss of my nightly bowl of yogurt, fruit, and cereal. [I guess I'll be saving some money on Lactaid, though...]
Ironically, the only time I've ever had voracious cravings for cheese was while pregnant with the little man.
Meanwhile I am using it as excuse to buy and try all of the previously declared too expensive alterna-yogurts at the grocery store.*
*Speaking of which, today I went grocery shopping myself for the first time since Henry was born. I wore mascara. Because going to the store is now an EVENT.
We have been told he could grow out of it in as little as six months, but we will see. Good thing dairy consumption is not actually a requirement for Wisconsin residency.
--------------------
In other news, Henry has now twice slept almost 3 hours in a row at night, lasted more than 10 minutes during play mat tummy time, loves the song 'O Come All Ye Faithful,' and has declared his adoration of Freddie the Firefly by literally grabbing him away when Eric tried to remove him from hanging over the Pack and Play.



Comments
Post a Comment