According to the 20 Year Olds...

It has been very easy to keep my pregnancy hidden, considering most people only see me from the chest up these days. Such is the way of the world when teaching online during a pandemic. (This was a blessing during the first trimester, when I felt exhausted and nauseous and, thankfully, didn't have to actually GO anywhere, or stand up while teaching.)

I finally told my students today, during the last class meetings. Needless to say, they were VERY excited, especially my class of 17 students (16 female, 1 male, which seems relevant) that I have taught for two semesters in a row...some of them I have had in three or four classes and known since they were freshmen.

I wish I could share their comment thread (I did try to save it, but, technology). Let's just say the outpouring of excitement was akin to Bid Day of a sorority: overwhelming, lots of real or implied squealing, and maybe some tears of joy.

One thing I never thought I would do? Show off my baby bump to my students via Zoom.

That being said, their obvious excitement, joy, and the confidence they have in my ability to be a great mother was oddly comforting. At least the 21/22 year old crowd thinks I'll do OK. :)

Comments

Popular Posts